This morning I felt an urge of inspiration for something new and I’ve been seeing a lot of recipes on TikTok calling for variations of rice, spam, and seaweed, so I figured let’s try something in the kitchen!
My original intent was to make a recipe TikTok, but I screwed up the recording process. I also tend to season with my heart and not a recipe, so I can list the ingredients but you really just have to season to your personal preference. This makes roughly 6 rolls, maybe more. Before you start, make sure you have a sushi rolling mat!
Prep Time: 30 Min
Cook Time: 15 Min
Yield: Approx. 6 Rolls
- 3 Cups Jasmin Rice
- 6 Sheets Sea Salt-flavored Seaweed
- 1 Can Reduced Sodium Spam
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Bag Shredded Carrots
Seasonings & Oils
- Sesame Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Hoisin Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Ginger
- Wash 3 cups of rice and cook with your preferred method (I use an Instant Pot).
- When rice is done, sprinkle a dash of salt and a cap full of rice vinegar, then fluff and cool.
- Crack eggs into a bowl.
- Mix in garlic powder, soy sauce (just a little!), salt, and ground ginger.
- Beat until everything is mixed together.
- Fry your egg until the bottom is solid, then use the spatula to roll your eggs up like a towel or futon mattress.
- Remove from heat when eggs reach your desired consistency.
Once these two steps are completed, you just need to slice everything into long strips, brown your spam, and start making the rolls. If the rice is still too hot or very sticky, try dipping your fingers into a bowl of cool water before manipulating the rice. The cool water protects your fingers from the steam and stops the rice from binding to your skin, making it a lot easier to spread around the seaweed.
Once your rolls are done, you have the option of brushing them with sesame oil and dusting them with sesame seeds before slicing. Your choice! Then for the topping sauces, mix together sriracha and mayo and spread evenly with hoisin sauce as seen below. Enjoy!
This meal was alright. It was flavorful and easy to make, but I over seasoned and then burnt my eggs and like I said, my rolls fell apart. It just wasn’t a vibe for me this morning. That’s okay! We don’t have to succeed every time. Hopefully you enjoyed your meal better than I did mine and next time, we can make it even better